Tuesday 16 March 2010

Sunshine!!!

London is going totally crazy. It is sunny, and warm, and dry, and generally just not very London-like. It is truly hard to get any work done, all I want to do is wonder around, preferably in a park and offer my face up to the warm strokes of the sun, sit around and recharge my solar-power operated batteries. I think it is due to the, on average, way too many rainy, cloudy or foggy days in this city, that you can tell without much difficulty, who are the ones who really live here. No true Londoner will ever put on sunglasses. You will look around on a day like this and you can instantly pick out the squinting, happy locals, with that goofy smile on their faces. The only people that will actually put on shades are tourists and fashion-victims. And me, when I am insanely hungover. 
Which was the case on Sunday, so after a healthy, long walk in Hyde park, my dehydrated brain couldn't take it anymore and I had to escape into the Victoria & Albert, to soothe my pounding head with some coolness and darkness. I checked out the Digital Design exhibition, which is running until the 11th of April in Porter House. It was pretty damn cool, although the lot of flashing and beeping didn't exactly help my hangover. I had difficulty of understanding some of the technological lingo posted as explanations, but I sure had a hell of a time playing around with all the interactive stuff. I always love seeing adults shedding their adulty-pretentiousness and becoming children again, which was added benefit of the exhibit as grown-ups laughed, jumped around and played with the pieces. My personal favourites were the dandy-lion whose seeds were blown away and flew according to the direction of your movements, as you were holding a working hairdryer. 


And then there were the little spermatozoids and eggs digitalized on a screen, under sand that you could move. The little baby-makers sensed where there was no sand and they started multiplying there. Unfortunately, not a lot of people made the effort to actually read what the point was, they just liked touching the sand, so there was a lot of smiley face drawing going on, which didn't really allow the little things enough sand-less space to go play. Oh and the montage of hundreds people (couples of 50% woman-woman, 30% woman-man and 20% man-man if I remember correctly) almost kissing. As you walked past, a sensor picked up on your movements, and the couples started going at it. Some, rather heavily.

But I could go on and on. The point is, go and see it, it is a great feeling, playing like a child inside, and then stepping outside and continuing on like that in the blazing London sunshine.

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm commenting :) Actually the percentages of the people kissing was the other way around, heterosexual smooching was the least popular on the screen! Glad you went to see it, and controlled the growth of life in the sand box, even for just a minute! julcsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I just checked as well, it was indeed 30% man on man and 20% woman on man. Here is a bit more on the artist himself, if you are interested!
    http://www.lozano-hemmer.com/
    And the piece was called the 'Make Out'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now I'm torn between wanting to look like a true londoner and my urge to put on some nice shades when it's sunny...what to do, what to do...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked it up. According to the true-londoner's codex it is allowed to wear sunnies after 3 days of continuous sunshine. I hope that takes some weight off your shoulder, and your eyes :)

    ReplyDelete