Monday 1 March 2010

Baby steps

At the end of this day I can proudly declare that I have a functioning phone and a number to go with it and I have re-registered at library of my alma mater. Furthermore, I successfully opened a bank account even though at the first branch this was denied to me, because my proof of residency was in an obscure language, which impeded the world's local bank to function properly. Anyhow, in a different branch it turned out that there is actually a whole account policy designed for oversees people taking British jobs. However, besides not being able enough to look up my UK postcode on the WWW based on my address (I wasn't supposed to touch anything, in case I may perform a swift security breach using Royalmail as portal) the otherwise really pleasant bank clerk and I had the following conversation:
"So you are doing your masters. Wow. So what is it in? Banking and accounting?" 
Maybe I was wearing something formal and tight-ass?
"No...I study something like sociology."
"Oh, well, that's good enough too."
WHAAAAAAT??? THE F****CK??? Thanks Mr. BankClerk that you approve of the direction of my education slash life. Weight off my shoulder. 
I also managed to book two apartment viewings for tomorrow. I've already had some email correspondence with the person who is letting the place I've already fallen in love with and, I wouldn't go so far as to call him eloquent, but he read clear and logical. When he picked up the phone, he sounded more like Hannibal. So if you don't hear from me in a few days, come and look for me. 
It has been a great day, I have gotten a whole lot done, and to put the cherry (well, prematurely) on the cake I even went for a run in the morning. Even though my nicotine soaked lungs couldn't take more than 15 minutes, I bathed in the beautiful forenoon sunshine, despite the cold that made me into a glass-cutter and incidentally made the eyes of the workmen pop out. 
Overall, I declare the day a total success. May my productivity increase. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Obviously banking and accounting is the most important course that someone could take, obviously.
    I like how you managed to translate 'Euroculture' into something to do with Sociology. If only the damn course had a intellectual, important sounding name.... maybe we would feel less ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine what he would have said then...probably nothing. He would have just sneered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jajajaja
    sara, its 11.30pm in lima and you just made my day! (pathetic, i know)
    i can't believe i just discovered this blog.
    now i have more reasons to stalk you, than just look at your pictures in FB.

    lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ama, I am glad I entertained you for a little while! :) Don't worry this blog is REALLY good, so it's not pathetic if it makes your day :) I hope you are well, and thanks for reading!! Miss you!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete