Sunday 29 November 2009

I would like to start by paying a moment (about four lines) of respect to my blanket. You have served me well, and kept Miguel and I warm for long weeks. You have protected me from the dirty sheets and biting freeze in Hierve el Agua, may you keep having the same fulfilling purpose of life in Oaxaca with one of the Mujeres Artesianas, where I left you. Goodbye.

So the 14-hour bus ride in line with expectations was long and not fun. There were only two people who actually were on the bus for the whole ride. Me and the bus driver. I think that is actually absolutely prohibited for him to drive for that long. I still wonder what he was on. I am staying in El Panchan, a wonderful congregation of cabañas surrounded by actual jungle. It sounds like there is a rock concert outside my window. I arrived here around 8, had a quick breakfast and caught the local bus to the ruins of Palenque. I let myself be talked into a ^guided tour of the jungle^. I was a bit sceptical at first, but it was absolutely worth it. Fifty minutes of just my boy Oliver and I fighting our way through the green. He showed me calbo (not sure about the spelling) that the locals chew against toothache, camfor, cocoa and many other plants. The guides gather every second month with a biology professor from the nearby university, to study and learn to spot different local plants, from dangerous trees to poisonous mushrooms. He showed me sweet water shrimps and despite my srong wishes he attempted to find me a flying spider that is as big as a palm. Thankfully, he didn^t succeed. Getting back to the ruins of Palenque with the amounts of tourist was a dramatic break in our peaceful walk. Nevertheless, they were beautiful.

Got back to El Panchan just in time to catch the bus to Mislo Ha and Cascadas Agua Azul. Met two lovely Mexican and two equally lovely Israeli ladies. The waterfalls were absolutely amazing, the road was nauseating and terrifying, curvy as crazy and everytime we took over a car my life was flashing in front of my eyes. Regardless, Chiapas feels like a big, fuzzy, green pillow, where, no matter where you fall, you will never hit yourself. Everything is covered with all shades of green and nature is crawling, reaching and growing out of control. This is one of the reasons, why I decided to postpone the crossing to Guatemala with a day and tomorrow I will pack up my stuff visit Yoxchilan and Bonampak and spend the night in an ecological reserve and only the next day head off to Flores. If this entry feels a little rushed, it^s because it is. It is a Saturday night and I have a michelada and some live music waiting for me in a bar where the roof is made of dried banana leaves. Hasta mañana!

No comments:

Post a Comment